- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) grapefruit sections, drained
- GINGER WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and ginger just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with cream; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place grapefruit juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat. Add grapefruit; toss gently to coat.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in ginger.
- Split warm shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon filling over bottoms; replace tops and garnish with whipped cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Ruby Grapefruit and Shortcakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p155
Reviews for Ruby Grapefruit and Shortcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review