Treat a loved one to this tender chicken topped with plump cranberries and simmered in a spicy orange sauce. I got the recipe at a cranberry festival in Wisconsin. Even those who don't care for cranberries like this flavorful main dish. —Kathy Mead, Gwinn, Michigan
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and salt; add the chicken. Seal bag and toss to coat. In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken in butter.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Pour over chicken. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Ruby Chicken in Cooking for 2 Winter 2007, p27
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Ruby Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 11, 2013
"This was so tasty and easy to make! Both my hubby and I loved it."
Reviewed Oct. 26, 2010
"I love this recipe. It is so tasty and so easy to make. Just right for an autumn evening."