Royal Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon rhubarb to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over top.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece: 238 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Royal Rhubarb Coffee Cake
"This was so good as written, but I did add another half cup of rhubarb. Fixed my pregnancy craving!"
"Just a word on the topping I did not melt the butter I mixed it with a pastry cutter and it did turn out very well all the same measurements applied. I also put cranberries with the rhubarb and mixed directly into the batter,and poured into the pans,(glass) wow what a great turn out....."
"This was very good! I added a few strawberries and it was delicious. Next time I may try a different crumb topping though."
"This was a great easy recipe and I actually substituted strawberries instead. I agree though about the topping, the ingredients noted make a pasty carmelized substance that you can't sprinkle. I used just a basic streusel topping mix and that seemed to work much better!"
"this is very tasty, however,i question the amount of butter in the topping mixture.you can't "sprinkle" it because it becomes paste-like.i will use a topping from another recipe next time."