Royal Icing Recipe
Our home economists share the recipe for this classic decorating icing that sets up and dries quickly. It's nice to use when cookies will be stacked on a plate.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Food coloring, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Tint with food coloring if desired. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- To decorate, place icing in a pastry bag. For border decorations and dots, use #3 round pastry tip. For small detailed decorations, use #1 or #2 round pastry tip. Yield: about 1 cup.
Originally published as Royal Icing in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p76
Reviews for Royal Icing(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review