Two types of meat make this not-too-spicy chili a hearty meal. Because it's made in the slow cooker, it's a great choice for casual Christmas gatherings.—Linda Stemen, Monroeville, Indiana
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds), cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot pepper sauce, shredded cheddar cheese and additional chopped onion, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, flank steak, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, beans, chilies and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until steak is tender.
- Serve with the hot pepper sauce, cheese and onion if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Roundup Chili in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p85
Reviews for Roundup Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review