Round Whole Wheat Loaves Recipe
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours; set aside. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, honey, salt and eggs. Beat in half of the flour mixture until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour mixture to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into round loaves. Place each loaf on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- 4. With a sharp knife, make a deep X in top of each piece of dough. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks; brush with melted butter. Cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 153 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Round Whole Wheat Loaves
"Tasted wonderful. Did not like the texture; reminiscent of cornbread."
"This is one of my favorite whole wheat bread recipes. Great with soup or toasted!"
"This is really good. I don't usually like wheat bread but I think the honey adds a lot of flavor."