- beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown steak in oil on both
- sides in batches, adding more oil if necessary. Remove and keep
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in the water, soup
- and pepper. Bring to a boil. Return meat to pan. Cover and bake at
- 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, for dumplings, combine the flour, minced onion, baking
- powder, poppy seeds, celery salt, poultry seasoning and salt in a
- bowl. Combine milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until
- Increase oven temperature to 425°. In a large bowl, combine bread
- crumbs and butter. Drop dumpling batter by rounded tablespoonfuls
- into crumb mixture; roll to form dumplings. Place on top of
- simmering beef mixture.
- Cover and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in
- a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while baking).
- Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 489 calories, 20 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 890 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.