Round Steak with Dumplings Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 pounds boneless beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and paprika. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown steak in oil on both sides in batches, adding more oil if necessary. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in the water, soup and pepper. Bring to a boil. Return meat to pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- 4. Meanwhile, for dumplings, combine the flour, minced onion, baking powder, poppy seeds, celery salt, poultry seasoning and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 5. Increase oven temperature to 425°. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter. Drop dumpling batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into crumb mixture; roll to form dumplings. Place on top of simmering beef mixture.
- 6. Cover and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while baking). Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 489 calories, 20 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 890 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.