Round Steak with Dumplings Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 pounds boneless beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and paprika. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown steak in oil on both sides in batches, adding more oil if necessary. Remove and keep warm.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in the water, soup and pepper. Bring to a boil. Return meat to pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, for dumplings, combine the flour, minced onion, baking powder, poppy seeds, celery salt, poultry seasoning and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter. Drop dumpling batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into crumb mixture; roll to form dumplings. Place on top of simmering beef mixture.
- Cover and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while baking). Yield: 10-12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Round Steak with Dumplings(6)
Sort By :
If you're a person who likes lots of sauce, cut the dumpling recipe in half. Check meat to see if tender enough before adding dumplings. It has taken up to two hours for me to get the round steak tender.
I was" informed" by my family and guests that I would be making this again! =) Thank you for the recipe.
The dumplings were very flavorful-my family liked this meal-I may try the dumpling part with baked chicken too.
Although this called for a lot of ingredients it was very easy to make. The dumplings were delightful. This recipe is a keeper.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Dumplings Side Dish Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Side Dishes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >