- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Add beef; shake until well coated.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Brown beef in batches. Remove and keep warm. Add onion and garlic to the pan; cook until tender. Return beef to the skillet. Add the broth, mustard, chili sauce and mushrooms; cover and cook until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve over noodles. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Round Steak Stroganoff
Sort By :
"I've always been a huge fan of stroganoff and thought this sounded like a nice version. Had trouble with it right from the start, the flour stuck to the bottom of the pan when browning the meat and just burnt. OK, so I didn't brown the rest of the meat as a result, just the first batch I tried. Added in the broth and such, and the mixture promptly turned into glue! Will never again cook meat with a flour coating on it! Taste wise it wasn't very seasoned at all either. I would definitely try again without the flour added, and more seasonings all around. This recipe makes a ton of food, I could have easily halved the recipe since it's just myself and my husband, instead I did the 2lbs of meat recommended, and we have enough stroganoff to feed a small army here!"
"Turned out great. Family said it was a keeper"
"I used round steak and we loved this. I used the hot Sriracha chili sauce, and I like the little bit of bite it produced. Will make this again."
"Made this with tomato paste instead of chili sauce, used double amount of mushrooms and substituted chanterelle mushrooms. Absolutely fantastic!"
"Very good. Used sirloin, tomatoe paste instead of chili sauce, no mustard, and used fresh sliced mushrooms"