- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Add beef; shake until well coated.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Brown beef in batches. Remove and keep warm. Add onion and garlic to the pan; cook until tender. Return beef to the skillet. Add the broth, mustard, chili sauce and mushrooms; cover and cook until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve over noodles. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Round Steak Stroganoff
"This was SO good. I used deer round steak which can be tough but it turned out nice and soft. My semi-picky 7 and 9 year old went for it! I only used a couple squirts of chili sauce so it wasn't too spicy, and because I ran low on sour cream, I used a scoop of mushroom soup as substitute. didn't have fresh mushrooms, but canned worked just fine. if your flour is burning, your heat is too hot. this is just a "browning" on sides, not fully cooking the meat. It will cook when it's simmering in the broth."
"I've tried a lot of stroganoff recipes over the years and been disappointed in most. This one is a gem. I was hesitant to add 3 tablespoons of chili sauce because a member of my family is sensitive about spicy foods, but it didn't make it spicy at all. My kids also hate onions with a vengeance so after sauteing i ran the translucent onions and garlic through the food processor. I also added extra beef broth because i didn't have condensed. For those saying it was thin, mine turned out super thick. I only added 1 cup of sour cream (more would have completely overwhelmed the flavor). Also for those complaining about the flour sticking to the pan, i deglazed with a tablespoon of wine before and after onions. Whole family loved it. It is going to be our go-to stroganoff recipe from now on."
"Followed the recipe exactly except used sirloin instead of round steak. Delicious! Company liked it too!"
"Made this for dinner tonight, but didn't have the 7 hrs. to cook it. So, I cooked it on high for 4 hrs. Oh my! It was so tender and delicious. I can't wait for my husband to come home from work, so he can try it. My only change was no mushrooms. Not a fan. I also added garlic powder. This was so easy and tasted great. I'll definitely make it again!"
"Sauce is a little thin. Delicious. Double mushrooms, chili pepper instead of sauce, a little extra mustard."