Round Steak Sauerbraten Recipe
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 3-inch x 1/2-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 10 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the gravy mix, brown sugar, 2 cups water, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves.
- 2. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; stir into gravy mixture. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Serve with noodles. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup beef mixture with 1 cup noodles equals 331 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 741 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.