“My mom used to make this wonderful dish, and it's always been one that I love,“ writes Deanne Stephens from McMinnville, Oregon. “I especially like how the thick gravy drapes both the meat and the potatoes.”
- 2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes (7 to 8 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, soup mix, oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic powder and pepper; pour over meat. Scrub and pierce potatoes; place over meat. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Remove meat and potatoes; keep warm. For gravy, pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and potatoes. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Round Steak Italiano in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p54
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Round Steak Italiano
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review