- 2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes (7 to 8 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, soup mix, oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic powder and pepper; pour over meat. Scrub and pierce potatoes; place over meat. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Remove meat and potatoes; keep warm. For gravy, pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and potatoes. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Round Steak Italiano
"SO GOOD!!! super easy to put together and then come home to dinner DONE! this will be put into the regular rotation."
"I have such a difficult time with round steak. This still turned out very dry with a bland flavor. Potatoes were very mushy."
"This was an easy meal to prepare. I did make my own onion soup mix with spices from home instead of the packet. I made mashed potatoes instead so we could put the gravy on them. Everyone in this house cleaned their plate."
"First time cooking potatoes in crockpot and I was surprised at the tenderness. The meat however was just okay and everyone thought it needed salt."
"We tried this recipe tonight for the first time. I was wary of cooking the potatoes this way, but I have to say the potatoes were tender and a great addition to this easy meal! I love round steak in the slow cooker; so economical a cut of meat. This turned out really good with a pleasant, but not overpowering, tomato flavor. Recommended!"
"I made this just as written, except I was short on time so I used my pressure cooker instead of the crock pot. It was great! I can't wait to cook it in the crock pot, too. I am sure it will be very tender and tasty! Thank you for the recipe."
"I thought this meal was delicious, but my hubby gave it an "okay" review. The meat was incredibly tender as were the potatoes. It took just minutes to get it ready for the crock pot, so it's a keeper in my book."
"Excellent recipe! We love the tender, flavorful round steak, and the baked potatoes make it almost a complete meal -- just need to add a veggie or salad."
"Boys love this one so easy to make, on our racing days!"