Round Steak Beef Rouladen Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak
- 6 bacon strips, halved
- 12 small garlic dill pickles
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Cut steak into twelve 4-in. x 3-in. pieces; flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Place a bacon piece and pickle along a short side of each; roll up and secure with toothpicks. In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown roll-ups on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil. Stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Gradually blend in broth and savory, stirring constantly. Return roll-ups to pan. Cover and cook over low heat for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 441 calories, 28 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 1,242 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 38 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.