This is one of our most cherished dishes. My wife's aunt made it for us over 40 years ago.—William Foster, Haverhill, New Hampshire
- 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak
- 6 bacon strips, halved
- 12 small garlic dill pickles
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut steak into twelve 4-in. x 3-in. pieces; flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Place a bacon piece and pickle along a short side of each; roll up and secure with toothpicks. In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown roll-ups on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil. Stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Gradually blend in broth and savory, stirring constantly. Return roll-ups to pan. Cover and cook over low heat for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Beef Rouladen in Taste of Home October/November 2003, p21
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Round Steak Beef Rouladen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review