Round Ham Loaf Recipe
Slices of pineapple and a maraschino cherry make my mom's homey ham loaf pretty enough for company. The accompanying vanilla and raisin sauce lends a distinctive flavor to the meat. -Susan Ormond, Jamestown, North Carolina
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 6 crackers)
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced pineapple
- RAISIN SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 maraschino cherry, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk and cracker crumbs. Crumble ham and pork over mixture; mix well. Form into an 8-in. round loaf in an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Cut pineapple slices in half if desired; place on top of loaf.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally with pan drippings.
- 3. For sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and water in a saucepan; stir until smooth. Add the raisins. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Serve warm with ham loaf. Garnish with a cherry if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 449 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 1095mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Round Ham Loaf
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC