VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or grape juice
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 3 medium apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Place the peppercorns, bay leaves and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add the cabbage, apples, salt, pepper and spice bag.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar. Discard spice bag. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Rotkohl (Red Cabbage) in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p10