- 3 cups cubed fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch, about 8 stalks)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until rhubarb is crisp-tender, stirring to dissolve sugar. Drain, reserving 6 tablespoons cooking liquid.
- Pour butter into an 8-in.-square baking dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar; top with drained rhubarb. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together twice.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in extract and reserved cooking liquid. Fold in flour mixture. Pour over rhubarb. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Rosy Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Sort By :
"This was my favorite cake AND rhubarb recipe of all time. I will make this every year!"
"My husband and I really enjoyed this cake. Its lemony flavor was a nice change of pace from other rhubarb desserts."
"Delicious, light and tasty. My kids loved it, even the 7-month-old! I omitted the teaspoon of lemon extract because I didn't have any."
"Wasn't bad, but way too much lemon and I like lemon. Didn't come out like the picture. I wouldn't make it again."