Rosy Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Here’s a cake that gets its rosy hue from the rhubarb topping. It’s moist on top and light as a feather on the bottom. — Dawn Lowenstein, Hatboro, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:9 servings
- 3 cups cubed fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch, about 8 stalks)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until rhubarb is crisp-tender, stirring to dissolve sugar. Drain, reserving 6 tablespoons cooking liquid.
- 2. Pour butter into an 8-in.-square baking dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar; top with drained rhubarb. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together twice.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in extract and reserved cooking liquid. Fold in flour mixture. Pour over rhubarb. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- 4. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece equals 257 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 157 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC