Rosy Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 3 cups cubed (1-inch pieces) fresh or frozen rhubarb (about 8 stalks)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until rhubarb is crisp-tender, stirring to dissolve sugar. Drain, reserving 6 tablespoons cooking liquid.
- 2. Pour butter into an 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar; top with drained rhubarb. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together twice.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in extract and reserved cooking liquid. Fold in flour mixture. Pour over rhubarb. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- 4. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 257 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Rosy Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
"The perfect blend of lemon and rhubarb! Easy and delicious!"
"My family enjoyed this cake different than the usual"
"This was my favorite cake AND rhubarb recipe of all time. I will make this every year!"
"My husband and I really enjoyed this cake. Its lemony flavor was a nice change of pace from other rhubarb desserts."
"Delicious, light and tasty. My kids loved it, even the 7-month-old! I omitted the teaspoon of lemon extract because I didn't have any."
"Wasn't bad, but way too much lemon and I like lemon. Didn't come out like the picture. I wouldn't make it again."