Rosy Rhubarb Dessert
Elsie Wigdahl bakes this comforting almond-and-rhubarb delight in her Ruthven, Iowa kitchen. "This sure-to-please dessert is quick and easy," she says.
12-15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup strawberry gelatin powder
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup choppeed flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Arrange rhubarb evenly in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Combine sugar and gelatin powder; sprinkle over rhubarb. Sprinkle
- dry cake mix over gelatin mixture. Pour hot water over cake mix (do
- not stir). Top with coconut and almonds. Drizzle with butter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 12-15
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 288 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.