Rosy Rhubarb Cupcakes Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- Cream cheese frosting, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Frost if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Rosy Rhubarb Cupcakes(17)
Sort By :
very different to make cupcakes with rhubarb. Came out moist and delicious and mine rose well enough and no problem with sticking to pan but I use silicone baking cups sprayed with Pam
found a better recipe
Did not rise stuck to pan. Husband says not enough rhubarb taste. It was ok for a cupcake and was nice and moist.
Delicious just as written! I did make some cream cheese frosting for them but topping them with a dusting of confectionary sugar would be fine. I will be making them often this season and perhaps next winter with frozen rhubarb.
I have been learning to read the reviews first before trying. What I really appreciate is that the Taste of Home Kitchen retested to make something turn out better. Much obliged to you! I just bought some fresh rhubarb and the stalks are huge. I do admit I need strawberries in with them as I still can't take the whole taste of rhubarb. Happy Cooking/Baking ladies!
More Recipe Collections
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Cupcakes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >