Rosy Rhubarb Cupcakes Recipe
If you're in a big hurry, these cupcakes are delicious even without frosting. The recipe works well with either fresh or frozen rhubarb, and a hint of nutmeg sparks the flavor. —Sharon Nichols, Brookings, South Dakota
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- Cream cheese frosting, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Frost if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 cupcake (calculated without frosting) equals 168 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Rosy Rhubarb Cupcakes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC