- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- Cream cheese frosting, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Frost if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Rosy Rhubarb Cupcakes
"I tried this recipe twice because I really wanted it to work. Very disappointing. No problems with sticking or leavening but the texture is too dense and the overwhelming flavor is of flour. I feel like I wasted my ingredients. I usually trust Taste of Home, this is not a palatable recipe. I wish the site would let me post zero stars."
"very different to make cupcakes with rhubarb. Came out moist and delicious and mine rose well enough and no problem with sticking to pan but I use silicone baking cups sprayed with Pam"
"found a better recipe"
"Did not rise stuck to pan. Husband says not enough rhubarb taste. It was ok for a cupcake and was nice and moist."
"Delicious just as written! I did make some cream cheese frosting for them but topping them with a dusting of confectionary sugar would be fine. I will be making them often this season and perhaps next winter with frozen rhubarb."