I always end up with lots of rhubarb each summer, but many of the recipes use a lot of sugar. This one lets the fruit sweeten up the rhubarb instead. I refrigerate the sauce overnight to help the flavors blend. —Amy Nelson, Weston, Wisconsin
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 5 large Red Delicious apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups finely chopped fresh or thawed frozen rhubarb (about 8 stalks)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a Dutch oven, combine apples, rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and
- water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 18-22 minutes
- or until fruit is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. If a smoother consistency is
- desired, cool slightly and, in batches, process in a blender. Serve
- warm or cold. Yield: 6 cups.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled applesauce in freezer containers. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Serve cold or heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 93 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.