Rosy Applesauce Recipe
I always end up with lots of rhubarb each summer, but many of the recipes use a lot of sugar. This one lets the fruit sweeten up the rhubarb instead. I refrigerate the sauce overnight to help the flavors blend. —Amy Nelson, Weston, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 5 large Red Delicious apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups finely chopped fresh or thawed frozen rhubarb (about 8 stalks)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine apples, rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 18-22 minutes or until fruit is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. If a smoother consistency is desired, cool slightly and, in batches, process in a blender. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 6 cups.
1/2 cup equals 93 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC