Rosy Applesauce Recipe
I always end up with lots of rhubarb each summer, but many of the recipes use a lot of sugar. This one lets the fruit sweeten up the rhubarb instead. I refrigerate the sauce overnight to help the flavors blend. —Amy Nelson, Weston, Wisconsin
- 5 large Red Delicious apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups finely chopped fresh or thawed frozen rhubarb (about 8 stalks)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine apples, rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 18-22 minutes or until fruit is tender, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. If a smoother consistency is desired, cool slightly and, in batches, process in a blender. Serve warm or cold.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled applesauce in freezer containers. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Serve cold or heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 cups.
1/2 cup: 93 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Rosy Applesauce
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC