Rosemary Walnut Bread Recipe
I receive this recipe from a friend who was moving into a new apartment. To celebrate, she made this bread to share and now it is served at many of my family functions.—Robin Haas, Cranston, Rhode Island
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, mix whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour; stir in yeast mixture. Let stand, covered, 45 minutes. Add walnuts, honey, oil, rosemary, salt and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each into a 12-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (9 slices).
1 slice equals 145 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC