Rosemary Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups dried split peas, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 pound ground pork or turkey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion, garlic and rosemary in butter until tender. Add the broth, peas and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until peas are soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- 2. For meatballs, combine the pork, rosemary and pepper. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs until no pink remains, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Ladle half of the cooled soup into a blender or food processor; puree. Return soup to the kettle along with the meatballs and heat through. Yield: 5 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with margarine and ground turkey and without added salt) equals 2 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat; also, 359 calories, 1,064 mg sodium, 24 mg cholesterol, 37 gm carbohydrate, 26 gm protein, 13 gm fat.