Rosemary Split Pea Soup with Meatballs Recipe
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups dried split peas, rinsed
- 1/2 pound ground turkey breast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion, garlic and rosemary in butter until tender. Add broth, peas and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until peas are soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- 2. For meatballs, combine pork or turkey, rosemary and pepper. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. In a skillet, brown meatballs until no longer pink. Ladle half of the cooled soup into a blender or food processor; puree. Return soup to the kettle along with the meatballs and heat through. Yield: 5 servings.
1/5 recipe equals 354 calories, 10 g fat (0 saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.