Guests will fall in love at first sight of this impressive citrus and savory herb roasted chicken—a big hit when my best friend’s mom came for a visit. —Sarah Vasques, Milford, New Hampshire
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 medium apple, quartered
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 cups white wine or chicken broth
- Chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine butter, minced rosemary, orange peel and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the chicken; rub butter mixture under the skin. Brush chicken with orange juice. Sprinkle salt and remaining pepper over chicken and inside cavity.
- Place one onion and half of the apple inside the cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Arrange carrot, celery, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, rosemary sprig and remaining onion and apple around chicken. Pour wine into pan.
- Roast 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with drippings. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly. Cover and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- For gravy, pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat. Add enough broth to the drippings to measure 1 cup. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth mixture and nutmeg if desired. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Rosemary-Orange Roasted Chicken in Simple & Delicious December/January 2012, p41
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Rosemary-Orange Roasted Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 27, 2012
"Whole family enjoyed very tasty."
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2012
"I'd probably give it 4.5 stars. The gravy is also great. This one is definitely a keeper."