- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 medium apple, quartered
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 cups white wine or chicken broth
- Chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine butter, minced rosemary, orange peel and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the chicken; rub butter mixture under the skin. Brush chicken with orange juice. Sprinkle salt and remaining pepper over chicken and inside cavity.
- Place one onion and half of the apple inside the cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Arrange carrot, celery, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, rosemary sprig and remaining onion and apple around chicken. Pour wine into pan.
- Roast 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with drippings. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly. Cover and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- For gravy, pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat. Add enough broth to the drippings to measure 1 cup. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth mixture and nutmeg if desired. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Rosemary-Orange Roasted Chicken
Sort By :
Whole family enjoyed very tasty.
I'd probably give it 4.5 stars. The gravy is also great. This one is definitely a keeper.