- large saucepan, heat the milk, water and 1/2 cup butter to
- 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until
- Beat in egg and garlic paste until smooth. Stir in enough remaining
- flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a
- floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds.
- Divide each portion into three pieces; shape each into an 18-in.
- rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch
- ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and
- let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Melt remaining butter; add garlic
- salt. Brush over bread. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden
- brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12
- slices each.).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 164 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.