Rosemary Garlic Braid Recipe
This moist savory bread pairs nicely with a variety of main dishes. It's great with soup...and makes a wonderful grilled ham and cheese sandwich. I came up with the recipe a few years ago when I wanted to use up the fresh rosemary in my garden. -Cori Oakley, Traverse City, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/2 hours + rising Bake: 25 min. YIELD:36 servings
- 5 whole garlic bulbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh rosemary or 4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- 9 to 9-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic heads, leaving root end intact. Place cut side up in a small baking dish. Brush with oil; sprinkle with rosemary.
- 2. Cover and bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10 minutes; squeeze softened garlic into a bowl. Add broth; lightly mash.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a large saucepan, heat the milk, water and 1/2 cup butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened.
- 4. Beat in egg and garlic paste until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes
- 5. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Divide each portion into three pieces; shape each into an 18-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Melt remaining butter; add garlic salt. Brush over bread. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each.).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 164 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC