Rosemary Focaccia Recipe
The savory aroma of rosemary as this classic bread bakes is simply irresistible. This bread tastes great as a side dish with any meal, as a snack or as a pizza crust.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed, divided
- Coarse salt
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup oil until tender; cool. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons oil, salt and remaining water. Add 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Add onions and half of the rosemary. Knead 1 minute longer. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Pat each piece flat. Let rest for 5 minutes. Grease two baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Stretch each portion of dough into a 10-in. circle on prepared pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt and remaining rosemary. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves (8 wedges each).
1 wedge equals 147 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC