- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add apples; cook
- and stir until apples are just tender. Stir in the remaining filling
- ingredients. Cook 10-15 minutes, stirring until thickened. Remove
- from the heat; cool.
- For dough, in a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and
- yeast. In a small saucepan, combine water and butter; heat to
- 120°. Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat for 2 minutes. Beat
- in the egg, peel and 3/4 cup flour. With mixer at high speed, beat 2
- minutes. Stir in remaining flour. Cover; let stand 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients; set aside. Divide dough in
- half. On a well-floured surface and using a floured rolling pin,
- roll each half to a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place on greased
- baking sheets. Spread filling down center of dough to within 1 in.
- of ends. Starting about 3/4 in. from filling, cut 1-in.-wide strips
- diagonally from filling to edges of dough. Alternately fold opposite
- strips of dough at angles across filling. Fold ends over filling.
- Loosely cover dough with greased waxed paper; cover paper with
- plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. When ready to bake,
- uncover and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Sprinkle
- topping over coffee cakes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove
- from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 coffee cakes (16-20
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 226 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 142 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.