Ropa Vieja - Cuban Meat Stew Recipe
Ropa Vieja is a main course of shredded and braised beef with plenty of healthy, tasty vegetables, like onions, peppers and olives. Our GOYA® Ropa Vieja recipe is sure to satisfy the hungriest of appetites.
- 2 tablespoons GOYA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-1/2 pounds flank steak, cut into 3-in.by 4-in. pieces
- GOYA Adobo All-Purpose Seasoning with Pepper, to taste
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1-1/2 green bell peppers, finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 jar (6 oz.) GOYA Sofrito
- 3 teaspoons GOYA Minced Garlic or 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 oz.) GOYA® Tomato Sauce
- 1 package Sazón GOYA with Coriander and Annatto
- 1 package GOYA Powdered Beef Bouillon
- 1/4 teaspoon GOYA Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup GOYA Spanish Olives Stuffed with Minced Pimientos, sliced
- 1 jar GOYA® Capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups cooked CANILLA Extra Long Grain Rice
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Season meat with adobo. Add steak to pot and cook in batches, flipping once, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer meat to a plate. Lower heat to medium. Stir in onions and peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add Sofrito and garlic to pot; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in 3 of cups water, tomato sauce, Sazón, beef bouillon and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Return beef to pot. Lower heat to medium low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Stir in olives and capers. Cover pot; simmer until meat shreds easily with fork, 1 – 1-1/2 hours, adding more water in 1/4 cup measurements, if pot becomes dry.
- Transfer meat to work surface; shred meat with two forks. Bring remaining sauce to a boil. Mix meat and cilantro into sauce. Serve with white rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ropa Vieja - Cuban Meat Stew Provided by GOYA®
Reviews for Ropa Vieja - Cuban Meat Stew(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review