This dish's pretty harvest colors make it any eye-catching addition to the Thanksgiving table. It's a fix-it-and-forget-it favorite of mine. —Cathryn White, Newark, Delaware
- 2 cups pearl onions
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen brussels sprouts, thawed
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add the pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; peel.
- In a large roasting pan, combine the onions, potatoes, rutabaga, parsnips and carrots. Drizzle with butter and oil. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Cover and bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Uncover; stir in brussels sprouts and garlic. Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Root Vegetables in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p137
Reviews for Root Vegetables
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review