- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 10 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Crumble sausage into a stockpot. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the vegetables, water, broth, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; whisk in cream. Heat through (do not boil). Yield: 20 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Root Vegetable Soup with Sausage
Sort By :
"I've made this soup many times and we love it. The quality of the sausage, even though its a small amount, lends a lot to the spice of the soup. It makes a large batch and freezes well."
"Served it as the first course at Christmas dinner, it was a huge hit. Sent everyone home with the leftovers"
"I didn't use turnip and I substituted Venison Sausage and it was fantastic. Made a double batch to share with neighbors and family."
"I felt that this soup could have used a few more spices. I felt it was a bit bland."
"Love this! I make this without the cream, pour it into small freezer bags & freeze it. Then I can pull out just a small portion when I need my own personal bowl of soup. I add the cream after it defrosts. This soup is thick & creamy & the sausage is just fun. A luxury. A comfort food."