"I had a similar soup at a restaurant and re-created it at home. To my surprise, it came out even better than the original! This soup actually won top honors in our town's annual cook-off." Donna Class, Keyser, West Virginia
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 10 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Crumble sausage into a stockpot. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the vegetables, water, broth, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; whisk in cream. Heat through (do not boil). Yield: 20 servings (1 cup each).
Originally published as Root Vegetable Soup with Sausage in Taste of Home October/November 2008, p49
Reviews for Root Vegetable Soup with Sausage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review