- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 10 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Crumble sausage into a stockpot. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the vegetables, water, broth, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; whisk in cream. Heat through (do not boil). Yield: 20 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Root Vegetable Soup with Sausage
"Loved the soup made exactly as suggested but used hot sausage. No one could figure out the spices but they all loved it."
"I've made this soup many times and we love it. The quality of the sausage, even though its a small amount, lends a lot to the spice of the soup. It makes a large batch and freezes well."
"I didn't use turnip and I substituted Venison Sausage and it was fantastic. Made a double batch to share with neighbors and family."
"I felt that this soup could have used a few more spices. I felt it was a bit bland."
"Love this! I make this without the cream, pour it into small freezer bags & freeze it. Then I can pull out just a small portion when I need my own personal bowl of soup. I add the cream after it defrosts. This soup is thick & creamy & the sausage is just fun. A luxury. A comfort food."