Root Vegetable Soup with Sausage Recipe
"I had a similar soup at a restaurant and re-created it at home. To my surprise, it came out even better than the original! This soup actually won top honors in our town's annual cook-off." Donna Class, Keyser, West Virginia
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 10 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Crumble sausage into a stockpot. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the vegetables, water, broth, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; whisk in cream. Heat through (do not boil). Yield: 20 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup equals 177 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 466 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC