Root Vegetable Medley Recipe
Meet the Cook: Equally good with pork or beef roast - or with a Thanksgiving turkey - this dish is one my husband of 36 years requests at least once a month. We have four grown children, six grandchildren and a seventh due in November. -Marilyn Smudzinski, Peru, Illinois
- 6 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 to 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes and rutabaga in a large saucepan; cover with water. Add salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetables; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain.
- For glaze, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water, lemon juice, dill, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Root Vegetable Medley in Country Woman September/October 1996, p29
Reviews for Root Vegetable Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Side Dishes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >