I make root vegetables even more enticing by combining them with a rich and creamy cheese sauce. This casserole is a favorite at our holiday buffets.—Lizela Sabiranju, Lynnwood, Washington
Recommended: 54 Amazing Ways to Love Winter Veggies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Arrange the potatoes, rutabaga, turnip and parsnip in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cream, rosemary, flour and seasoned salt. Bring to a gentle boil. Remove from the heat; pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake for 20-25 minutes longer or until bubbly and vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Root Vegetable au Gratin in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p10