- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh beets
- 3 medium parsnips
- 2 small rutabagas
- 2 medium turnips
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 large red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 whole peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulb. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil.
- Peel the beets, parsnips, rutabagas, turnips and carrots; cut into 2-in. pieces. Place in a large bowl; add the onions, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves and remaining oil. Toss to coat.
- Transfer to three greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Place garlic on one of the pans.
- Bake 35 minutes or until garlic is softened, stirring once. Remove garlic; set aside to cool. Drizzle wine and broth over vegetables. Bake 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Squeeze softened garlic over vegetables; dot with butter. Transfer to a serving platter. Yield: 13 servings (3/4 cup each).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Root for Winter Vegetables
Sort By :
Loved this! Didn't have beets or rutabaga, but added sweet potatoes and fresh brussel sprouts, and then the last 10 minutes added grape tomatoes. This recipe adapts readily to substitutions. This would make a meal along with some good bread, and fruit for dessert.
I love roasted veggies. Toss in a few fresh green beans the last 15 min. I'm happy to see a used roasting pan being shown. Looks like mine.
Loved this! I left out the beets and rutabagas because I didn't have. The vegetables and seasoning had a sweet taste that went over really well with my family.
Made this to complement a beef roast for Christmas. Everyone loved it! I couldn't find fresh beets, used butternut squash instead and it worked beautifully.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- New Year's Side Dish Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >