- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 3/4 cup cold diet root beer
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- Set aside and refrigerate 1/2 cup whipped topping for garnish. In a large bowl, whisk the root beer, milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Fold in half of the remaining whipped topping. Spread into graham cracker crust.
- Spread remaining whipped topping over pie. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Dollop reserved whipped topping over each serving; top with a maraschino cherry if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Root Beer Float Pie
"I used "Not Your Father's Root Beer" for my first attempt at this pie. Two things wrong with this rendition...one, it turned out runny, even after 8 hours...two, don't use the alcohol, it gives it an alcoholic bite that some might not enjoy."
"Was really excited about making this pie as almost every recipe I've made in past has been a huge hit and wonderful taste. I used regular pudding, lite cool whip which is what I usually buy and 2% milk. I added the canned whip cream on top as the extra dollop and that melted immediately. Should have know right then that this was going to be a mess.Had a decent taste but like almost every one else found that the pie did not set after 8 hours. I might try again and make night before but if it falls apart again that will be my last time.Maybe Taste of Home can tell us what they did to make this pie to be able to get the picture they show with the recipe cause my pie didn't come close to that."
"Taste of Home this recipe needs work, can't believe you did a test prior to posting!!!!!! shame"
"The pie was runny when i put it in the crust. I used Almond Milk cuz was all I had. I put it in the freezer and was good that way, but like others not much root beer taste and I used A&W"
"This was good but not great. i didn't use diet or low fat ingredients and I couldn't find root beer extract at Ralphs, target, or Walmart so I went to my favorite shaved ice place and they gave me some of their root beer syrup to enhance the root beer flavor.It was ok but I probably won't make it again.It was pretty much the same as any of the pudding cool whip pies."