- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-3/4 cups cold root beer, divided
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, 1-1/4 cups root beer, oil and eggs. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes or stir by hand for 3 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the whipped topping mix and remaining root beer. Beat until soft peaks form. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Root Beer Float Cake
"This is a favorite of my daughter even now that she is 19. LOL! We like to use 2 envelope whipped topping mix. Also, I noticed that the higher quality the Root Beer the better this recipe."
"First time followed recipe and no flavor. Tried again using the root beer concentrate as well in cake /frosting and MUCH better! Will make again and add even MORE concentrate (3-4 tsp) and think it will be perfect then! Luv2craftginny- cannot see why you could not use diet root beer"
"question can you use diet root beer"
"Really nice cake-used root beer concentrate after reading reviews. delowenstein-please, stop wasting review space with your extensive recipe re-writes. It is rude."
"I made this for my granddaughter's birthday. Oh My Gosh, how sad! It wasn't very good. :( She loves root beer. We couldn't hardly taste the root beer. She was sooooo disappointed. Very Sad."
"I added a little Root Beer flavoring to cake batter and frosting. Turned out good."
"won't be making this again. I had planned it for my 11 year old grandson's birthday and it BOMBED. just tasted like plain old cake. very disappointed."
"This is not a review yet, but a comment and a thank you to all that contribute here! Many mentioned using root beer and Dr. Pepper in chocolate boxed cake. My recipes from the 80's used a coke in chocolate or fudge cake mix--they always came out so dry that I never used the recipe again. I'm so glad for to see this recipe today and your helpful ideas! I LOVE root beer flavor and look forward to making this recipe using R-B concentrate with the white or yellow cake mix. Also I'm thinking about using root beer (Barq's!) to enhance the flavor of Spice cake mix too. Thanks again!"