- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup root beer
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- 12 root beer barrel candies, crushed
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with root beer, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, combine whipped topping and crushed candies; frost cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Root Beer Cupcakes
"I prepared this recipe the first time. I used 1/2 cup packed brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar. I also used 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1-1/2 tsp. root beer concentrate, in addition to the 2 eggs, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, the 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon & allspice and the 1 cup A & W Root Beer. I used 1 can of classic White Butter Frosting from Pillsbury and added 1-1/2 tsp. root beer concentrate to the frosting to give it a root beer flavor. I also found that I was able to get 17 cupcakes out of the recipe! I baked the cupcakes 20 minutes and the cupcakes tested done with a cake tester. They are moist cupcakes-I admit that they didn't HAVE too much of a root beer flavor, though! It's possible that the cupcakes might need to mature! The icing had the light root beer color-I think that it's possible that the icing too, would need to mature! This was a clever idea and recipe to share with the online Taste of Home recipe collection! I had to find a recipe for using root beer or birch beer or beer for a Cook's Corner Ingredient challenge! I'm glad, Dot Kraemer, that I did get to test your recipe! delowenstein"
"I just want to comment on Wingding52 review. That comment about the kids "enjoying" diabetes when they grow up is/was uncalled for. Why would you get pleasure out of hurting the millions of people who has diabetes, or their children who are predisposed to getting the disease through genetics? Diabetes is not necessarily food consumption related."
"YukBet your kids will enjoy diabetes when they get older. Not much interesting in the cupcake recipe, standard as most. Whipped topping and more sugar on top."
"i made these for all my roommates and their friends and they loved them. they dont taste much like root beer, but theyre still enjoyable!"
"Refreshingly different and very tasty."
"NAw, these do not taste like root beer cupcakes. Big disappointment. Blah, I think I would have added more spice to them to make them better. Not a good choice, but had to find out for myself."
"Haven't tried it yet but will real soon."
"The cupcakes tasted more like spice cupcakes. Did not taste like root beer at all."
"good, nice summer flavor, a keeper."
"Root beer, yum. We loved the cupcake. Definitely a keeper!!!!!!!"