Since it's too difficult to take along root beer floats on a picnic, take these cookies instead! I've found the flavor is even better the next day. The hard part is convincing my family to wait that long before sampling them. —Violette Bawden, West Valley City, Utah
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon root beer concentrate
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/4 teaspoons root beer concentrate or extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and root beer concentrate. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in pecans.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cooled cookies. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Root Beer Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p228
Reviews for Root Beer Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review