- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) baked beans
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper, optional
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese, optional
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium heat, using 32-36 charcoal briquettes or large wood chips.
- In a 10-in. Dutch oven, cook bacon over campfire until crisp. Remove; discard drippings. Return bacon to pan; stir in baked beans, pie filling, root beer and, if desired, ancho chili pepper
- Cover Dutch oven. When briquettes or wood chips are covered with ash, place Dutch oven on top of 16-18 briquettes. Place 16-18 briquettes on pan cover.
- Cook 30-40 minutes to allow flavors to blend. If desired, sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Root Beer Apple Baked Beans
"These beans were good, something different. I chopped up the apple slices, used only 3/4 cup root beer and only 1/2 cup shredded cheese. I made these beans yesterday when friends stopped by and everyone liked them so much, I plan to make a double batch for a big party I'm having Fourth of July weekend."
"Really sweet! Too much for my taste."