- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken on both sides over medium heat. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in the lemon juice, basil and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and orange juice; heat through. Spoon over chicken; sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Romano Chicken Supreme
Sort By :
This was great! I had no mushrooms but did have fresh brussels sprouts, so I subbed those (I halved them before sautéing) and it was delish. I did use only a half cup bread crumbs, and that was more than enough.
I just made this for supper tonight. Both my husband and I really liked the flavor. I will be making this again.
I've made this recipe many times and always get compliments. Excellent!
I was going to make chicken cacciatore tonight (the recipe from the 1974 edition of Joy of Cooking), but this recipe caught my eye and I decided to make it instead. Awesome! Chicken breasts, mushrooms and cheese--what's not to love? And I was quite surprised to learn that my ten-year-old loved the mushrooms.