- red balls to each Santa for arms and legs. Attach 1/4-in. white
- balls to ends of arms and legs for hands and feet.
- Shape remaining 1/2-in. red balls into hats. Attach remaining 1/4-in.
- white balls to tips of hats. Place inverted chocolate chips for eyes
- and buttons.
- Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until set. Cool for 10 minutes;
- carefully remove from pans to wire racks (cookies will be fragile).
- For icing, combine shortening and vanilla in a small bowl; mix well.
- Gradually add 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar; add 1 tablespoon
- milk. Gradually add remaining sugar and milk.
- Pipe a band of icing on hat, cuffs at hands and feet, and down the
- front and at bottom of jacket. Pipe swirls of icing on tip of hat
- and for beard. Sprinkle nonpareils and sugar pearls over icing on
- hat and beard. Place a red-hot candy for mouth. Spread melted
- chocolate for boots. Let stand until set. Yield: 1 dozen.
Editor's Note: Remaining dough may be shaped into balls and baked.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 434 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 175 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.