Whenever I think of this appealing rolled turkey filled with Mom's moist cornbread stuffing, I can almost smell the aroma of it baking in the oven. It's delicious!
- 1 turkey (12 pounds), deboned and giblets removed
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 5 cups cubed white bread
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely crumbled corn bread
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 to 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Unroll turkey on a large cutting board. With a sharp knife, remove the wings (save for another use). Flatten turkey to 3/4-in. thickness. Cut between the turkey breast and thighs to separate into three sections.
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine bread and corn bread; add celery mixture, 1/2 teaspoon salt and sage. Stir in enough broth to moisten.
- Spoon 2 cups stuffing over turkey breast to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie with kitchen string at 1-1/2-in. intervals. Place on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan.
- Spoon 1 cup stuffing over each thigh section to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Tie with kitchen string; place on a rack in another shallow roasting pan.
- Brush turkey with oil; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Bake turkey breast at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170°; bake thighs for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° and a meat thermometer reads 165° for stuffing. Let turkey stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Rolled-Up Turkey in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p36
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Rolled-Up Turkey
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 10, 2007
"This looks delicious."