Rolled Oat Cookies
I like to keep some of this dough in the freezer at all times since it's so handy to slice, bake and serve at a moment's notice. These wholesome cookies are super with a cup of coffee - in fact, we occasionally grab a few for breakfast when we're in a hurry.
-Kathi Peters, Chilliwack, British Columbia
21 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in water and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed
- mixture and mix well. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Shape into two 1-1/2 in. rolls; wrap tightly in waxed paper. Chill
- for 2 hours or until firm.
- Cut into 1/2-in. slices and place 2 in. apart on greased baking
- sheets. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 188 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.