Rolled Buttermilk Biscuits
I scribbled down this recipe when our family visited the Cooperstown Farm Museum more than 25 years ago. I must have gotten it right, because these biscuits turn out great every time. —Patricia Kile, Elizabeth, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and
- salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in
- enough buttermilk just to moisten dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3-4 times. Pat or roll to
- 3/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Brush with milk. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until golden
- brown. Yield: 8 biscuits.
Nutritional Facts: One biscuit equals 164 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 382 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.