Rock'n and Roast'n Chili Recipe
I got the basics of this recipe from a friend at a Super Bowl party and tweaked it from there. I do have to tone it down a bit for my wife...and my mom once asked if I was trying to get my inheritance early! People who like spicy food really go for it.—Rob Via, Charlotte, North Carolina Charlotte, North Carolina
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-in. cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (16 ounces) hot banana peppers
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Additional banana peppers, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Seed and chop 10 hot banana peppers (refrigerate remaining peppers for another use). Add the hot peppers, tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, chilies, jalapeno and seasonings to beef mixture.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 4. Uncover; simmer until chili reaches desired thickness. Garnish with additional banana peppers if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 315 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 1,349 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC