Robbie's Red Rice
Upon my move to the Low Country of South Carolina, I was introduced to red rice, a traditional Deep South dish. I experimented with a recipe and this is the result.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 package (12 ounces) bulk pork or turkey sausage
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup each chopped green, yellow and sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. casserole; stir in the water, rice,
- onion, peppers, butter and pepper. Add bacon and salt if desired.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bake 15
- minutes longer. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with turkey sausage and margarine and without bacon or salt) equals 103 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 243 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 meat, 1/2 starch.