Upon my move to the Low Country of South Carolina, I was introduced to red rice, a traditional Deep South dish. I experimented with a recipe and this is the result.
- 1 package (12 ounces) bulk pork or turkey sausage
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup each chopped green, yellow and sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. casserole; stir in the water, rice, onion, peppers, butter and pepper. Add bacon and salt if desired. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Robbie's Red Rice in Country December/January 1997, p51
Reviews for Robbie's Red Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review