Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup Recipe
We got this recipe from a good friend and Merchant Marine in New Hampshire. My husband and our two small children liked it so much that I started raising yellow peppers. We enjoy it in the middle of summer or on a cool fall day. —Amy Spurrier Wellsburg, West Virginia
- 6 large sweet yellow peppers
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Halve peppers; remove and discard tops and seeds. Broil peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 4 minutes. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion and leeks in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Peel off and discard charred skin from peppers. Finely chop peppers; add to potato mixture. Cool slightly.
- 4. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; heat through (do not boil). Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 8 cups (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 124 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 807 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC